E-Mail us
Local Vets since 1949


Keep your pet safe by being aware of these common toxins around your house and yard.

1. Only use medications prescribed

Do not use any human medication on your pet dog. The dosing is often different, and things that are OK for one species may be quite toxic to another. Always seek advise from your trusted vet.

2. Use products as directed.

Fleas, ticks, other parasites and certain skin conditions often necessitate the use of shampoos and topical treatments. Not following the usage directions is one of the most common causes of pet toxicity. This is definitely a case where more is NOT better! Please read and understand all directions when using shampoos, dips, spot-on treatments for your pet.

3. Keep all medications out of reach

Pet medications may be meat-flavoured which may encourage your pet to want more. If they gain unsupervised access to their medication, they may suffer overdose. In emergencies such as this, they will need to expel the toxin asap. It is important to call us or Animal Poison Control to find the best way to rid or deactivate the toxin immediately.

4. Limit the use of rat poison around your household

Rat and mice infestation carry their own set of health problems for people and pets, and should be removed from inhabited areas. It is important consider your pet's safety when getting rid of rodents. Rat poison is a bait -- this works for rodents as well as pets. Even if the poison is hidden or seemingly out of your pet's reach, determined pets can be quite creative when trying to reach the bait. Additionally, rodents that die from the poison and are ingested by pets post a risk to the pet.

5. Common food and dietary hazards

Never give your pet spoiled or mouldy food. Chocolate, grapes, and raisins are also toxic to pets. Avocados are toxic to birds. Coffee, tea and alcoholic beverages should never be offered to pets.

6. Landscaping chemical safety

Just like products applied directly on a pet, it is important to follow the manufacturer's directions and prevent access of the pest/herbicide treated area until it is safe. Pets are lower to the ground with their faces closer to the vegetation, so caution is advised.